Thursday, November 28, 2013

Madrid for a Day


So my trip to Madrid was mostly a failure. Not that I didn't end up enjoying it, but it didn't really serve the purpose I wanted it to. I got up bright and early, about 6, to catch a bus to Madrid. I had already purchased my ticket to the Doctor Who 3D movie, and it started at 1:15. I planned on going to the movie, spending a couple of hours wandering downtown, and then going back to Aranda at about 8:00. Perfect, right?
Let's skip to the moral of the story. Spain is on a 24 hour clock. Which, I knew. I even have it changed on my phone and iPod. So you would think I wouldn't get it confused. I'm outside of the theater waiting for the movie to start, and it's closed. Completely closed. Luckily, there were a few fellow Whovians waiting with me; two Spaniards, three Americans, and a Mexican. We had a nice chat, and waited. And waited. 1:00 passed. And 1:15. And we were starting to get anxious. Finally, at 1:20, a woman on the street stopped to talk to us. "There are no movies right now," she said. "There's a special showing at one," the Spanish guy said. "Yes," she said, "one. Not 13.00." Unfortunately, she was right. The showing was at 1, or as we Americans would say, 1 am. It seemed too late to even consider when I booked the ticket, and I didn't, so I ended up losing the 10 Euro I paid for the movie. Bummer.
Luckily, if you're going to be stuck wandering around Madrid for 8 hours, there's no better place than Calle Fuencarral. It's an excellent place for shopping, even if all you do is window shop. I managed to get some Christmas presents, and actually had a pretty good time. I finally got to go into the Corte Ingles, a Spanish department store (the largest store I've been in, but with incredibly low ceilings, which I didn't even know would bother me until I experienced it. They had some decorations hanging down, and I know that my little brother would have wacked his head on them.)The city is getting ready for Christmas, and the street was partially decorated (I don't think they official turn things on until advent). My favorite part of the evening was coming across a sextet playing on the street. There were two violins, a cello, a bass, a keyboard, and a soprano opera singer. Lovely.

Up until this point, I hadn't really thought much of Madrid. It's starting to grow on me. It might be partially due to the fact that I got some awesome Christmas gifts, and found some actually comfortable, cute boots. I don't know how women in Spain do it. Most boots have no insoles whatsoever, and the ones you buy have hardly no arch support. Fortunately, this particular brand advertises itself as one you can walk around in for a full day, which is usually something I just expect from my shoes. They're also blue! And, when it gets hot out, I can zip off the top half and make short botines. Que chula, no?
Not only that, but I've managed to get around on the metro pretty well. I'm always worried about public transportation (and if I can will always walk or bike somewhere. My fear keeps me fit I suppose). But I've ridden the metro a few times now, and have not gotten lost or mugged or spat on or stabbed or transported to an alternate dimension, so I'm feeling pretty confident about the whole thing.
I'm finally off to Fatima this weekend! Hooray! If you have any prayer requests, leave a message on Facebook or on the blog. And soon I'll be in Rome! Lots of pictures to come soon.

Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment