Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas Layover


I recently, as you know if you're friends with me on Facebook (because I've posted probably 500 pictures and that's still not all the pictures that I have), had the pleasure of being in Rome over Christmas break. It was fantastic, and I'd like to fill you in as best I can, not only for the people who read my blog, but for me, so I remember what all happened there.

When I bought these tickets a few months ago, I decided that I wanted to have a layover somewhere, long enough that I could explore a new city. I chose Zurich on the way out, with Frankfurt on the way in. The latter was not long enough to go out and explore Germany, but my layover in Zurich was about 12 hours, so more than enough time to go out and explore. The train station is right near the airport, so after navigating the train schedules/tickets (I had to ask someone which train was mine (and by ask I mean point and mime)) I got to the main train station downtown. When you reach the main station, you're in Old Town, which, if you've only got a couple of hours, I recommend checking out. It's a beautiful city- old just like many parts of Spain, but in a more... orderly way. For example, if a building is crumbling down to nothing in Spain, say an old farmhouse or a storefront, they just let it crumble. There are half buildings everywhere in Spain. I don't think the same can be said for Zurich, at least not the part I saw.

I had two goals in mind- see the Grossmunster and the Fraumunster churches, and as a bonus goal, find a Christmas market. Luckily, both the churches tower above the skyline in that part of Zurich, and the Christmas market was on a street lit up with lights, so I managed to do them all. The Fraumunster was closed, and I thought the same thing would hold for the Grossmunster, but as I'm about to leave, I notice some people walk inside. I thought, heck, why not. If it's a service, the worst that could happen is a little embarrassment. So I walked in. It is a beautiful church and again struck me as more orderly than the churches in Spain (though I love them, they do seem sometimes to be designed oddly-throw a chapel here, throw a chapel there, etc.). To my surprise, there was an orchestra and choir practicing in the loft above me, getting ready for the Christmas Eve service the next day. It was like having my own private concert! It was just heavenly. I'm so glad I walked into that church. I stayed for about a half an hour before leaving. I wish I could have stayed more.

I did manage to find a large Christmas market, housed in the same main train station, off to the side of where the trains arrive. It was quite impressive. Every little stall offered something Christmas related; a nativity, a Christmas sweet, a Christmas ale. But they closed at nine, and I mean at nine. I went to buy a spiced orange drink at 9:01 (I checked my phone) and it was 'sorry, we're closed.' Talk about efficient. Afterwards, I boarded a train and went back to the airport, and settled down for an uncomfortable winter's nap on  airport chairs.

A note on sleeping at the Zurich airport- It's doable. However, make sure you get to the airport before 11, because they close down . You won't be able to get through security. Also, if you have an early morning flight, check your bag the night before, because you may just find that security opens after your flight leaves. I was fine, but I definitely heard two girls get told, you might as well find another flight, because they were stuck in such a situation.

Next post, Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment