Friday, January 10, 2014

Rome, Part 2


Alright, I think it's time (you know, three weeks after Christmas) to finish up my blog post on my Christmas travels. I've gotten a bit lazy with the blogging, I know (that's not the only thing I've been lazy about. Christmas vacation always does this to me).

I ended with my recommendation for Saint Clements's. I'd also like to include a recommendation for St. John Lateran, which contains the chair that the Pope sits on during his... swearing in ceremony. I can't think of the actual word right now, and I don't have too much time left at the library, so I'm going to leave it with 'you know what I mean'. They have a free audio guide which is neat, and if you pay five euro, you can see some artifacts in the courtyard area. I think 5 was a bit of a rip off, but they do have some cool stuff. And St. John L's is huge and beautiful, so it's worth spending the time there.

Other recommended places-

The Spanish Steps. Full of people, and very beautiful.

The Vatican Museums. Awesome. Spend at least 4 hours there and go in the early afternoon, anywhere from 1-3 pm, not in the morning. It will save you a couple hour wait in the lines (I had no wait). And see the Sistine chapel!

Stop random places- See an open church? Stop by! They're all beautiful, even the small ones. I stopped in a number of random churches on the way, and love every one of them! There are also ruins hiding everywhere. If you see one, stop!

Rome is gigantic. I guarantee you will not see everything, unless you spend at least a week there, maybe two. I was not able to see everything I wanted, so in case you have more time than I did, and you're still looking for things to see, here's what I recommend: St. Mary Major, The Holy Steps (they close at 12 and don't open until 3, be warned), St. Paul Outside the Walls (take a bus), St. Peter in Chains, the Coliseum, and the crypts under the Vatican (they were closed during the Christmas season). Lots I didn't get to see. But I believe I'm going back with the family, and we'll have more time to see them. Heck, maybe we'll even take a bus.

Oh, and don't forget to eat Gelato. Sweet, sweet, gelato.

 

Side note- Let's say you're like me, and your plane arrives at oh, 23:30. You may be worried about transportation, or getting to your hotel safely. No need to worry! Remember, Spaniards are nocturnal on the weekends. The metro in Madrid goes until 1 am, and the streets are packed until who knows when. Even getting to my hostal at 1, I didn't feel the least bit unsafe. In fact, I felt less safe at 10:00 am going to the bus station, when there was practically no one on the streets except for these two drunk guys that started fist fighting as I walked past them.

No comments:

Post a Comment