Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Airport(s)

So I'm sitting in the airport, using airport wifi which links me to the U of I homepage (gag), and it finally hits me. Here I am, eating crappy airport food (and some delicious banana bread that I'm not sure I thanked you guys for but it's wonderful and doesn't taste burned) trying (failing) not to cry again for the billionth time, and I realize the next time I will not be in an airport is in Madrid. As I said goodbye to my family and friends (who were not really crying fyi, my roommates not at all (not that I expected you to), and who by their strong resistance to crying made me look like a total wimp) I realized I won't see them again for at least ten months.

And then I was like:
 
But only in my head because spit/spitting is disgusting.
I think that's how it goes, with me at least. I have this list of things in my head that have to happen before something else. For example, "Oh, I still have time before I leave, I've got such and such event to go to" and I just keep finding smaller and smaller events to mark the time. This morning it was, "Well, I'll still have baggage check-in before it really hits me that I'm leaving." Perhaps this is some sort of psychosis I should address, but it's how I look at the world. The problem with that view is that when it hits you, it really hits you. So here I am in the airport, imagining myself as the cereal spitting stick man, and lamenting the fact that I won't get to shower again until Thursday evening.

But that woe is me pity party, however satisfying it may seem, is no way to travel. So, to cheer myself up and to give you a taste of what is in store for me and this blog, I present to you, Aranda de Duero.



The old church in Aranda de Duero.


 
The plaza mayor in Aranda de Duero
 
 
 
 
The underground wine cellar in Aranda de Duero. (they're known for their wine)
 
 
 
Obviously these are images I searched for on Google, but pretty soon I'll be taking pictures of my own, which cheers me up considerably. Bye United States! I look forward to coming home to you, but between then and now I'm going to have an adventure.
 
 
*Update- I'm now in the Minneapolis International Airport. It's super posh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment