Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Posts from the Fiestas 1


Well, it's after two a.m. and I just got in. Success! Every day I've been staying up later and later, trying to keep up with the Spaniards. I did not keep up with them tonight (if today is like yesterday, they'll be up until 4). But I managed to get closer tonight. I almost gave up at 11:30, but just as I was leaving, a band called Orquestra Anaconda started playing and so I stayed. For 2 1/5 hours. My ears feel like they're full of cotton. It was a good concert, but also really inappropriate and pretty racist at times. My American Senses were tingling, but it seemed like no one in Spain minded. This is the second racist (by American standards, I suppose) thing in two days. I'm starting to notice a trend.

My last post was kind of mopey. I'm feeling much better today. I got my apartment, and it's giant. I really do want roommates. But it's more economical than I thought. I wish I had some more cooking skills though. I might end up eating noodles, rice, and chicken all year (if I can figure out the stupid stove... and get up the courage to use the matches to start the burner).

Today started with me waiting to sign the contract for the apartment, so unfortunately I missed the procession of La Virgen de Vinas. After signing the contract, my lovely land lady took me out to get some groceries and general supplies. She also showed me how to order at an ice cream shop! One step closer to one of the billion bars in this city.

But I was still feeling a blue. So I went on a walk. And when I say walk, I was basically at 'zombie' level, you know, slow, shuffling, occasionally moaning. Everything was closed because it's Sunday, but I really needed bed sheets. I came up on Oriental Bazaar (I think these stores in Spanish are called 'Chinos'), which I thought would be like the one in Boise, full of spices and what not from Asia. It was instead a store full of brick a brack, run by an Asian woman and her 13 year old daughter (not sure on the child labor laws here). I found there bed spreads and other house items, which was really very exciting. I thought, hey, maybe if I make the apartment my own, it'll be better coming home to it every day. So I did, getting brightly colored sheets and bright pillows, a bright towel. I think I want some posters or something to cover the blank walls, to make it more of something I would hang (not that the pictures aren't nice they're just... not really me).

I also had the pleasure of attending a mass tonight at St. Juan de la Vera Cruz church. It was beautiful! Very simple, and possibly designed between the Romantic and Gothic period. It's all stone and has this really beautiful mosaic, wonderful paintings, and tons of statues. There were only about 30 people there (and me the youngest) but I'm assuming most people went to the morning service for the Virgen. It was a good mass, but it was mostly me stumbling along in Spanish and falling far behind them and their speed demon tongues. I think they skip like, at least 7 words in the Lord's Prayer during the rosary. You know you're speaking quickly during the rosary when you finish it in 15 minutes.

And then, I wandered a bit more, attempted dinner, gave up and ate Muesli and a giant peach. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Like I mentioned, the concert was fun. It was great to hear some songs I knew, and the Spanish accent on the English phrases, like 'The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.' And we sang Gagnam Style, which made me feel right at home! (and then it got sort of racist). It was also surprisingly sexual... Spaniards are pretty open about that stuff, but it was super weird because this was also a family event. Elementary school kids were there. It freaked me out a bit.

On another good note, someone posted an ad for a conversation partner. She wants to practice her English, and will help with Spanish! I will definitely call her.

Now it's almost 3 a.m. and I'm finally coming down off of the concert high. I think I'll sign off now. Hopefully I'll get internet soon, though I know it won't be until after fiestas, so no sooner than Wednesday, so who knows when this will get posted. Spaniards.

Anywho, blog more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment