Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Post from the fiestas, 2


Good news, everyone! I have roaches. (In case you're unfamiliar with the 'good news, everyone' thing, it comes from Futurama, and when it's said bad news follows). Actually, I suppose I have roach. Not a big roach, about small/medium sized. I discovered him in my room, which I guess is better than the shower, but I'm still pretty upset by it. Unlike spiders, I have no fear of roaches, I just hate them. I've only had the pleasure of living with them once, and that was in Costa Rica. Luckily, I was left an industrial can of bug killer, designed for roaches. It took three direct hits, and it's still twitching across the floor (and I do mean across. It's moved to the left a good ten inches). So... yeah. Tomorrow before I go out I will definitely be spraying the rest of the floor. I know where there's one there're more.

Enough of that. I still don't have internet, and like the junkie I am, I'm having withdrawal. All I want to do is check Facebook and my email and this and that at the other!! It's very telling, but it doesn't help that I really don't have obligations right now. I went to another chino today and bought a thicker bed cover, because I was freezing last  night. I also got a sponge and some of those laundry clips. I hung dried two articles of clothing today! I'm a little afraid of them falling off of the line. They will literally land in a pit, from which I will be unable to recover them, but everyone will always be able to see them and constantly mock me for my foolish American ways. But so far so good.

I went to the main church in the town for mass today, Maria la Real, and it is even more beautiful than St. John of the Cross. I took a bunch of pictures which I will be posting. I also took some video. After I finished doing both of those, I noticed a sign telling me not to do either of those things. Also, normally tours of the church cost 8 Euros, but I just stuck around after mass. Ah well, too late now.

Tonight's concert was another orchestra, but definitely more geared for the older crowd. There were a few moments of awkwardness where we all left a giant arch of space in front of the stage. It finally got filled up with dancing couples, but it took a paso doble and cumbia for anyone to move in. Dance in Spain is pretty interesting. Obviously, there is a great history of dance in every part of Spain, but to watch the young people dance, it's almost the same as America. I think there are more popular dances that involve hip thrusting in Spain. What shocked me about that one was not the move so much as the fact that people of all ages participate. ALL ages, from little ones to the elderly. I also saw two guys almost get into a fight! The one was sitting on a bench, and the other one was basically on top of him making the 'come at me bro' chest puff thing. The guys wife had to pull him away from bench guy, but the come at me guy just kept going back and doing it again and again. They had to leave the plaza, leave their friends, it was really strange. Oh, and did I mention these guys were both in their 60's? Yeah.

Interesting cultural observation today. I left my sunglasses on the ground today at another concert, and someone was nice enough to return them to me. But the weird thing was, to get my attention, she touched my waist. That was super... odd. In America, I would think we'd go with arm or shoulder or just say something without touching the other person. But what I have discovered is that people in Spain will reach out and touch you to say anything, or to call your attention to anything. Luckily, because personal space is really not a thing in Spain, I've shrunk my bubble to only ward off drunk men, so it didn't really bother me. On a similar note, you don't have to apologize for bumping someone, nor do people say salud when you sneeze (not just when I sneeze, I've noticed it with others as well).

I've got only one day of this festival left, and honestly, I'm relieved. Not only because that means someone can give me internet, but also it means I'll be starting school. I really want to work. I need some sort of routine and labor to keep me from going crazy. People to talk to would also be nice.

Well, I'm going to call the cockroach. Time of death, 1:05. I think I'll read some Storm of Swords before I go to bed. The book split in half a while ago, and the last pages keep tearing. Better get through that before I lose some vital information.

Update, 1:27. The roach is twitching again... I'm pretty sure it's coming back to life. Perhaps the roach killer should just say "If you don't want roaches, burn your house down and start over."  

No comments:

Post a Comment