Saturday, September 28, 2013

Classrooms in Spain


Today was kind of one of those tear your hair out days. But not so much because I'm in Spain, just because 13 year olds are 13 year olds. I know it was the last period of the day, but I'm up there trying to give a presentation on Idaho/Boise/myself, and the kids are wild. They're talking, turned around in their seats, yelling, and just generally being disrespectful. Now I've met this group of kids once, so I'm still basically a guest speaker. To start out, they literally crowded the door and stampeded their way in. I thought the teacher was going to get knocked over, that's how bad it was. Then the teacher is in the room, and cannot get control of this class. And, from what I can tell, not trying nearly as much as teachers do in American classrooms. It seems like the only recourse for teachers is yelling at the students to be quiet, pay attention. (yesterday I was told that if they act up I should just say, be quiet, shut up.) I favor the stare and stop talking method of teaching, or even the softly spoken, "oh I can't hear so and so over all this noise and such", and am more than willing to wait for them to stop. I have very little experience in teaching, and don't have a teaching degree, so I could be way off base, but it seems like yelling does not really help in the long run. They would pipe down for about two seconds, and then start up all over again. I had an easier time with my sixth graders last year. There's also this weird informality here. The teachers are addressed by their first names, myself included, which is so far really unnerving.

To be fair, not all of the classes are like this. Just like in America, I'm sure there are varying degrees of class behavioral problems. But oh man, during the entire class I just wanted to discipline them for talking, correct their behavior, use a little love and logic, something, anything to get them to pay attention. I hope I'll have the opportunity to over the year. Maybe I'll get to teach solo once or twice, and at least get to experiment with how Spanish kids react to American classroom discipline. Or maybe I just have to build up a rapport with them before they'll actually listen. I know I've got some teaching friends reading this. Would you mind posting some basic discipline techniques on my Facebook page/message to help me out here? I'd really appreciate it.

Other than that, the day was fine. It wasn't as hot as yesterday, and it's supposed to rain this weekend. I'll be in Madrid, so I may get some over there, or I may not. I've got orientation Thurs./Fri./Sat. And I should actually have a decent internet connection at the hotel! I'll be downloading lots of podcasts to listen to, I guarantee it.

What I'm looking forward to most during the orientation is the food. It's free, and I'm sure it'll be a good sampling of Spanish meals. I'm not a cook, and it doesn't look like I'll magically acquire cooking skills on my own over here. Tonight I microwaved a Spanish tortilla (basically egg and potato). It was... salty. I don't recommend it. Luckily, I've had actual Spanish tortillas so I know what I ate was a letdown compared to the real thing. I think I'll be going back to eating sandwiches and salads this coming week. Spain has good lunch meat, and the bread is made daily here.

I'm getting more and more accustomed to Spanish life! A couple of ladies at mass introduced themselves to me, and I run into my students as I walk around town (which is the problem with living in a town of 33,000). In my head I'm planning out all the things I want to take my family to when they get here, but I do feel less and less lonely every day, which I think is how it's supposed to be. I'll write next from Madrid!

No comments:

Post a Comment