Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cacapaff is a success!

I watched another cockroach crawl across my floor today. Yesterday I fumigated with Cacapaff (this word is ridiculous and I like saying it), since it did, eventually, kill the roach in my room. And this guy, who thought he was so smart, walked right over where I sprayed. Ten minutes later, I found him dead. Well, a roach dead. I guess I can't be sure it was the same one, but I'm going to count it a success!

I found my way to school this morning, and was not late, despite not knowing what time I was supposed to arrive. I guess tomorrow I don't have to be there until 11:00, and even then I'll only be shadowing during classes. They still have to come up with a schedule for me. Today was just a series of meetings for the teachers, and the students only came to get their schedules. I met a lot of people though, and even managed to get a hang of that dos besos kiss thing Spaniards do. Several of them offered to help me with anything I need, which is great because I'm pretty clueless.

Dress was surprisingly varied. Some of the teachers were in what a US teacher might wear, others even nicer, but some were wearing jeans and those zip up sweaters. No pressure for me, then. And they were all very nice, though some of them spoke very much inside of what Americans consider 'the bubble'. The school is very bilingual. I won't just be in English classes, I'll be helping out in bilingual PE, science, history, and music (excited about that last one!) I got to leave early, so it gave me a chance to update on the wifi I'm borrowing.

Slowly but surely I'm learning the accent here. Those from Castilla y Leon use a definite 'sh' sound instead of 's'. It's not quite the stereotypical 'th', but it's somewhat close. They also have a really guttural j sound. 'Ehemplo.' I thought I was getting pretty good at understanding Spaniards, and then this guy from the east started speaking and I was like, "Nope, never mind." I'll settle for understanding about 1/8 of the country.

Fiestas are finally over, so most of the shops are reopening, but some don't open until Monday. Eh, if fiestas went until Tuesday, well, that's practically Friday, so we'll just wait until Monday to open again.

I did manage to find this flea market thing that goes on during fiestas. They sell a number of bootleg products, DVDs, CDs, and for some reason about a thousand Adidas sweatshirts. They also attempted English several times on their clothing, and it came out something like this "Chiefstar Athl86. New Group Ine Athletic Dept Work Since 2015.' Apparently, in the next two years English is going to become Newspeak.

Alright, I think people are starting to think I'm rude. Several older people have sat on my bench to rest during their walks, and have left more quickly than I thought. Time for mass anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment