Thursday, September 12, 2013

Picture it...

Holland, coming in by plane. We're too high up to see anything but cloud, but with about an hour left, we begin our descent. I'm looking out at the clouds, and seeing what I think are darker clouds below. Then, a tanker comes into view. I'm looking out at the North Sea, and what I thought were dark clouds were reflections in the water. As we pass more and more boats float by underneath us, all manner of vessels. Then comes the shore. A sandy beach lines the sea, and inside the land are a series of rivers and patches of farm land. The rivers surround the houses and fields, and on them float boats; sail boats and cargo boats and personal boats. The houses are gathered in clusters, with red and brown roofs.  Other structures, I don't know what they are exactly, stand taller in this charming, rural section of Holland. The rivers, more like large streams at this point, are even more common the closer we get to the airport. The sky above is cloudy, and a light rain is falling. I'm exhilarated, my spirits lifted. This is my first glance of Europe, and it is all I expected it to be.


Well, that's all the prose my brain can handle right now. I think I've slept five hours in two days, as I couldn't sleep Tuesday night either. I can't really sleep on a plane, even though the last one was quite large. But it is daytime in Spain right now, so I suppose staying awake now will help me sleep later tonight. I'm hanging out at the terminal, waiting for this plane to Paris to take off. Then they'll switch it out with the plane to Spain.

The airport in Amsterdam is great. First of all, the souvenirs are awesome. I don't want to spoil one of the gifts I got for someone, but if you think about what Holland is famous for, you'll probably have a pretty good idea. My only problem is that I have a chunk of useless dollar bills, which I didn't change at the airport in Minneapolis because of their ridiculous fees. Alas. I have enough for taxis and my hotel, so perhaps when I get to Madrid I'll explore changing over the last little bit.

What's weird about this airport is that almost everything is in English. If it's not only in English, it is at least translated. So, if you're worried about not speaking the language, you'll be just fine in the Amsterdam airport. Also, customs was super simple, they just want to know where you're going, and rifle through your luggage a bit. Much easier than some countries *cough*USA*cough*.

I think I've heard at least ten languages here; Dutch, Italian, English and Russian that I could recognize. People are dressed nicer here. I'm glad I wore some fairly alright clothing on the flight. Though I really want a shower right about now. Interesting fact, they shame you when you're running late for your flight. They'll say, "So and so, on flight such and such, you are delaying the flight. Please report to your gate immediately." So not only does the gate call you out, but the other passengers don't like you either.

Anyway, I hope this post made some sense. I've got jetlag, this first stage being complete awakeness, but also a tendency to use non-words like awakeness, and being unable to think of an actual word to describe what I'm trying to say. (Oh, French! Now they're speaking in French!) Well, I'm going to send some emails to family now. Write next in Madrid!

(Oh and bonus point for whomever gets the reference at the beginning of my post).

No comments:

Post a Comment