Friday, September 6, 2013

The right to be freaked out.


As it gets closer to my departure date, I've decided to share a bit of advice with future auxiliares, or anyone looking to travel. You are about to embark on a great adventure. It will change your life, and you won't regret your decision. And you've probably heard as much from everyone around you. Stuff like, "It's such a great opportunity" "I'm so jealous" "How great for you!" "You're going to love it!" "You're going to have a great time" "It'll be amazing!" 'It'll be life changing!" I hope all of these come true for you, and me, too.
But there's another side of traveling like this, which I can only describe as terror. You're leaving home, your family and your friends, to go to a new country filled with unknown variables. I think it's impossible not to feel scared. And it's okay to feel scared, even though it may seem selfish. Yes you're going to have a good time and yes it's a wonderful opportunity, but it's natural to be afraid of what might come, and maybe even regret leaving.

The best thing about all of this, is that being afraid and regretting a little bit, makes the experience that much sweeter. You've overcome your fears and your regrets, and you've proven to yourself that you can do amazing things, that you can have great adventures. So be afraid now, but go out into the world. Explore and live and embrace the new experiences. It'll be life changing, or so I've been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment