Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ole!


I'm all wrapped up in my blankets after what was a pretty terrific day, listening to the fireworks outside. This is the first day in Spain where I can say, I don't think I didn't enjoy anything about today. I'll start from the beginning...

I've gotten into a bad habit of sleeping in. (Now I picture Anna doing that judgmental eyebrow thing :) ). Okay, I'm continuing the bad habit of sleeping in. Which will soon have to change, because not only are the stores only open in the morning and early afternoon, but I'll be really starting school on Monday. Anyway, I accomplished one huge goal, which was finding and taking passport photos for my NIE (identity card for foreigners). It was actually super easy, and I literally only had to go in the plaza mayor. Just like ordering food, it was much easier than I made it out to be in my head.

I went to mass, and was going to wander around when I remembered that the older church, St. John the Baptist, which is now a sacred art museum, was only open in the afternoon. I had been wanting to check it out all week, and I'm very glad I did. The art in there is just so old, and still so beautiful. 1500s and 1600s, and a lot of it still in very good condition. There were these beautiful statues and crucifixes, chalices and paintings. I snapped a quick picture from the choir loft (no flash, I swear I didn't hurt anything). I highly recommend checking out the museum.

After that, I wandered over to a chino (again, a cheap store) and bought a broom and long handled dust pan. Now, I can sweep up roaches without getting close to them! Huzzah! Funny story with roaches- I found one dead outside my door. I thought, well, yes, it probably died because of the spray in my apartment, but it's not in my apartment now... So I kicked it further away from my door. I get home a few hours later, and the roach is no longer in the hallway, but had crawled back into my entranceway. I suppose that's only fair, I did kick him when he was dying. (I think if I didn't find these kinds of things funny, I might go crazy.)

My neighbor's downstairs/landlords invited me to lunch. It was delicious, an organic vegetable/lamb stew, some kind of beef that had the softness of soy, pan del día, and yogurt. It was too much food for me, but, because I didn't want to be rude, I ate them all, along with a glass of wine. I didn't need dinner. They're lovely people, essentially grandparents. The wife might teach me how to cook!

I was going to call it a night at about 8. Honestly, there are only so many times I can listen to the bands wandering around town. Don't get me wrong, I love bands, but this is like tailgating for 10 days straight. And playing the same music again and again. And multiply that one band by six. And add a lot of calimochos. So I'm on my way back, and I wander past this cultural center in town. They were having a Flamenco performance tonight, and it was terrific. It was a troupe of women and men from Andalucía, six dancers, a guitar player and an announcer who could also dance. Flamenco is fantastic, and so complicated. If you watch the singer and guitar player, they're being directed by the dancer's feet, and so they have to be constantly aware of her movements. Two of these women were sisters, and the leaders of the company. One had an amazing set of pipes as well. The guitar player was, well, if you want to woo a woman, gentlemen, learn to play like this guy. I got to yell Olé several times and Bravo! If you've never done that, I recommend you try it (when appropriate). Then at the end, they called people up from the audience, anyone from Seville. These people were not plants, and were really reluctant to come up (one of the woman shamed them on the stage by calling them out with the microphone). Four came up, three women and one man, and danced a Sevillano (I think that's spelled right). I was impressed enough by the actually dancers, but this group were just average people watching the dancing. And they were all fantastic, especially the guy. To be part of a culture that just knows formal dance like that-it blew my mind. All in all, it was a great evening.

Monday the library will open up and I'll be able to actually post things! Woohoo! Also, so sad my Broncos lost. Good game anyway, Broncos.

No comments:

Post a Comment