Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Blog from a while back when I was moving

I wrote this blog, but I forgot to add it to my thumbdrive, so I couldn´t post it at school. Here it is now- the crazy adventure of me moving. SoI wrote this two weeks ago, but forgot to put it on my thumb drive. The whole event was pretty funny, so I thought I would post it now.
Whoa, writing a blog in word to post it later online. I'm having deja vu. Okay, that was only like, two weeks ago, but still, feels like a while.
I'm happy to report that I'm reporting from a hostel. My apartment won't be ready until Monday, because everyone is out of town. That's not really here or there, I told them I would move in Monday, so the woman who has the key is out of town, as is the other one. But as I said, I found a cheap hostel, so no pasa nada. And, the guy here was really nice and gave me the one with two beds and a private toilet, I think because I mentioned that I live in this city, and that my apartment wasn't available. I'm an unofficial Arandina! Also I hit the level of tired where my Spanish is awesome, kind of like after I've had a glass of wine. I think my inhibitions were all down because I hadn't slept in like 24 hours. (and still haven't. Excuse the writing errors.) Backing up a little bit. I left this morning at seven am. As I mentioned before, I didn't sleep at all. Instead, I went straight to the shower, got dressed, finished packing, and went to get my clothes off the clothes line. I left before she got up and walked around for several hours. I had a coffee (yuck, but it worked) and waited for the Chino shop to open so I could buy a storage box. That was 10 'o clock, so I basically wandered around for two hours after the coffee. Unfortunately, I timed it awfully, because just as I was waiting to get on the elevator, she was coming down. We shared an awkward stare, and I managed to say 'hola'. It was super awkward. I finished throwing stuff away, and as I was taking stuff out to the garbage, she's coming up the elevator. It was somehow even more awkward than the first time. So I finished packing, and as I'm leaving I gave her the keys and enough money to cover the expenses, though she kept insisting she didn't know how much the expenses would be. Of course, that's true, but what I wanted to say was, 'take this and don't call me, that will be best for the both of us'. It didn't really get across, but she took the money.
Then as I'm leaving, she pulls some of my last supplies out of the kitchen. I was going to leave them for her, as a sort of peace offering. Heck, Anna and Eileen are still eating some of the food I left behind (but that was also forgetfulness and maybe laziness). The food was flour, sugar, oil, rice, and something else pretty basic that I can't remember. I figured, hey, these are foods you use all the time. Don't you want them? She did not, and even though I'm loaded down with stuff already, she hands them all over to me. So now I've got a rolly suitcase with three bags piled on top, one of them an actual giant grocery bag, a bed sheet bag thing, and a box with wheels. Add the food, and before I even make it to the elevator, I've popped open the top of the oil and it's all over my trench coat, the floor, my shoes, my glasses, my scarf, and my luggage. So I slip and slide my way into the elevator with the suitcases, leave the food on the stairs, and get to the main floor. I unload the suitcases, and go back up for the food. Except for the rice, which was apparently on the box and subsequently poured over the box. I threw the food straight in the trash, but not before bursting open the bag of flour, which stuck to the oil that was all over me. It was like the three stooges, except I was all the stooges. Then, after several failed attempts to move the luggage together (sidewalks here are stupid) I gave up, and had to move it individually. So it went something like this. Walk with box and bedspread bag for 20 feet. Put box down. Run back to luggage, pull for 20 feet. And so on and so forth. On the way, the large grocery bag split, and I lost an entire bottle of Tinto del Verano (that stuff's expensive) and the cap of my mayonnaise jar came off. I haven't investigate that one yet (my shoes are also in this bag) but I'll do that before I go to bed. Then, the bag with the bed sheets split open (that's what I get for expecting a bag from a Chino store to hold over a short distance). I'll definitely need to figure out a better transportation system before I make my way to my apartment on Monday. But good news, I'm probably going to get a prize for 'most awkward, really pale, blond tia' after that performance. I do have to mention that this one guy carried one of my things across a bridge. He was big and covered in tattoos, and the only one to help me. Kudos, guy, kudos. Thanks for being an awesome human being.
So I finally made it to the park in front of my new building, and waited. It was about 12, and I knew that school went until 2:30, at least for me. Turns out for them, it only goes to 2, so by the time I called at 2:30, they were already on the road. As I'm sitting there, this elderly man comes up to me, and starts chatting. This is not unusual in Spain. In fact, I've had this happen at least 3 times, once with a Deaf woman. He talked about being retired, that he was unmarried and without children, how he had once taught in the school down the road. He gave me his apartment number to stop by and visit him, if I wanted. Again, this is not the first time that's happened either. Last time it was with an elderly woman at church. While I generally think that they're just lonely, or genuinely trying to be helpful, I don't stop by, as a rule. You never know. As it turned out, you couldn't know with this guy. After he left, this woman, about 15 years younger, comes over and calls him my dad's favorite Spanish word, sinverguenza, scoundrel. Apparently he likes to chat women up. She told me next time, just shoe him away. And, as I'm sitting there, I'm attracting both flies and dogs, because I smell like olive oil. I suppose the whole experience was a cosmic joke created just to cheer me up.
The best thing that happened was that the woman who lived downstairs from me, the one along with her husband that I loved so much and wanted to apologize to for leaving, passed by and saw me! We had a conversation and I apologized for leaving (she and her husband own the apartment and sublet it I think). She said she totally understood, not to worry about it, and I just felt so much better about the whole thing. Still some of the nicest people I've met here, and I tried my best to express to her that much. Eventually, I got a hold of my roommates and they both told me they would be out of town (this is also pretty common on the weekends here. People like to visit home, especially if they're unmarried, it seems.) Luckily, I knew there were hostels nearby. Unluckily, not nearby enough that I didn't have to do the suitcase shuffle. (Did I mention all I ate today was coffee?) Not only that, but I couldn't find the dang reception desk. I found the first, and they had no rooms for today. The second had a number on the door, which I called, and managed to reserve a room all weekend (Thank the Lord, I was a little worried after the first was full). See, with hostels (and I've never traveled in hostels before so this is all new to me) the reception may just be in the restaurant associated with the hostel. This was the case here, and the restaurant was 80 meters away from the door to the actual rooms. So that was exhausting. Luckily, on the way back, the owner helped me with the bags and said he would help on the way down too (no elevator). And like I said, it's really nice, and with a private bathroom. It's basically paradise as far as hostels go (and he's still only charging me for a single room!).
So that was my crazy day. My glasses still have oil on them, and I have no idea what to do with my coat. But I'm out, and I'm feeling much more like myself than yesterday, that's for sure. I ate a sandwich and I'm about to try something called a 'yellow plum'. I had no idea they came in that color, and like gold, they're expensive. Then I'm passing out for as long as possible. Tomorrow I'm going to Burgos with the church, and we're doing something with nuns that involves discussion and lunch, but that's as much as I know.
Well, this post is long, and hopefully informative/amusing. Thanks to everyone who was a listening ear (facebook chat box?) last night and those who were concerned. It's really nice, when you have problems so far away, to know that you've got people back at home concerned about your well being, and that are willing to let you mope/rant at all hours of the night (or afternoon, as it was over there). Know that everything's going better now. Well, good night. After I finish this episode of Castle (dubbed) I'm going to get some much needed sleep.
Update Somehow the mayo stayed inside the jar. My poor bananas are no good anymore. And yellow plums are quite delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment