Monday, October 7, 2013

Burgos, or the best laid plans

I intended to go to Burgos today to take care of clerical matters. I need my NIE, and I need to get it soon. But I figured out last night that I'll need to be empadronada, or registered as living in Spain, first. So all my carefully laid plans (and I mean super carefully) had to be changed to include this new stop. Luckily, all I had to do was find the main plaza, register my address, walk a heck of a long way to the extranjeria, and then apply for the NIE. I never made it that far. Turns out I needed to be registered in Aranda, then apply for my NIE in Burgos. So my day of carefully scheduled and mapped out tasks disappeared like that.

But it was totally worth it. I went to the Cathedral in Burgos instead, and it was beautiful. So beautiful it moved me to tears a few times. I recommend that if you're in Spain, head to Burgos, see this Cathedral. Everything is amazing. The idea of beauty, as representing the invisible reality of the mass, of worship, is so wonderfully portrayed in this place. You really do feel like you're getting a glimpse of heaven (which is what the mass is, heaven). And the history of it all... We don't have anything like it in the States. I mean, when you're walking on the same ground as someone from the 14th century... And the ceilings, oh boy, as said someone who I think I remember being a prince, it's like they're 'crafted by angels'. Seriously worth your time, and only 7 Euro! I know museums that are way more expensive than that.

After the Cathedral (two hours later) I had a typical lunch (chorizo, fried eggs, fries, and bread. I really need to eat more vegetables) and then found my way up the hill behind the Cathedral. It was about 2:30, so everything was closed, but I knew that up above the Cathedral was a castle, and it is one of my dreams to visit a castle. After a little bit of a climb, I found the place. It was pretty cool, too, although it's only open on weekends so I didn't get to go inside. I did find an overlook and took several panoramas, this being one of them.
 
Even if the Cathedral is closed, check this view out if you're ever in Burgos. It was magnificent.
 
Another really interesting thing about Burgos is the amount of pilgrims it has. It's right on the Camino de Santiago, a neat pilgrimage to the Church of Saint James, in Santiago de Compostela, where the apostle is buried. So not only were there shells everywhere (the pilgrim's symbol) but there were people speaking a dozen or so languages. I actually ran into clumps of Americans (who spoke very little Spanish) and through their conversation got some news updates (someone tried to run their car into the White House?). It made me want to walk the Camino, but I might have to come back to Spain and exclusively do that. It seems like the way my schedule is going, I won't have time to fit in the Camino properly. Perhaps it's better to come back and do it right. Or maybe I'll walk the last 500 meters and then come back later and do it all the way.
 
 
I got to pray in the Cathedral in a couple of different side chapels that are reserved for prayer, so that was nice. I also finally went to Reconciliation in Spanish, which was nerve wracking but much easier than I expected. And it was my first time in an actual confessional, so that was neat! Unlike every other kneeler in Spain, the confessionals had cushions, so it was like a luxury.
 
 
I also visited a medieval market. It wasn't super medieval, except that the sellers were wearing more or less period clothing. There was a lot of food available, but it was still the kind of stuff sold in butcher shops and bakeries in Spain. Still, it was pretty fun. If your in Boise, think a smaller version of art in the park with more meats.
 
I have Monday off, so I'll be getting Empadronada in Aranda and then I'll take the bus into Burgos and walk to the Police Station to get my NIE. Hopefully it'll be easy. Burgos isn't as large as Madrid, so it should go more or less smoothly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment