Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I promised I'd post everything...

And I think this speaks volumes about the differences between Spain and the US educational systems. I posted it on Facebook, so I'll just copy it here.

We were discussing in our sociology class the history of the slave trade. I would read a passage (in English). A student would repeat it, and we'd do that until the end of the section. When finished, the teacher would go through the passage and together we'd define colloquial phrases or more advanced words (these kids are about 16 and pretty advanced English speakers). We got to the sentence, "Even their last names were stripped away."
The teacher didn't really understand it, so she turns to me and says (loud enough for everyone to hear), "Strip? Is this like stripper?" She mimed pulling clothes off.
I blushed and said, "Well, no not really."
"But it is the same word?" ...
"Well, yes, I suppose. In this context it means something was taken away from them."
"I see." She turns back to the class. "So this is like strip tease but much less fun."
I nearly died, both from embarrassment and from trying not to burst out laughing. The students didn't bat an eye. Talk about cultural differences...
 
Another interesting difference- 'shut up' is a completely acceptable way to tell a class to be quiet. I might chalk that one up to how a curse word never seems like a curse word when it's not your native language. It could be the same principle.
 
I have, since starting at this school, sang the chorus from that Beverly Hills song, and did the Wazup thing from those commercials. The students have teased me for it endlessly, but that is exactly what I'm trying to do. I get to be the fun teacher, and I might as well be myself. There is no use in trying to be cool, when I am very much not.
 
Anyway, not much else to report today. I do get to develop a presentation on the American Revolution! That should be fun. And I'm looking into developing some lessons for Halloween. If you know of any spooky stories with fairly simple language, send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment