Friday, October 11, 2013

Random Differences

I'm not sure how they do it, but somehow, the dogs are better trained. Most dogs here walk apart from their owners, only the big ones stay on a leash. These mostly tiny dogs (always well groomed, and usually pure bred, not mutts) walk in front or behind their owners, but are called back at the softest whistle. They even stop at the edge of the sidewalk! Which is really good because crossing the road is kind of like going out and hoping cars stop, and tiny dogs would not survive. But even if a dog is like, ten feet in front of their owner, they will stop at the edge.

Baby carriages are different here. More of them are upright. I'm not sure if we have this in America but they have these plastic sheets to put over them when it rains. Also, they come with tiny umbrellas to shade the baby from the sun.

Doors are the opposite. You push to get in, pull to get out. It confuses me almost every single time.

Music classes are more centered around theory and history than instrument playing. In fact, I don't think they have band or orchestra classes here. They play recorder to aid in music theory.

Kids will eat a sandwich for a snack at school, but lunch doesn't technically start until 2:30, so the kids are at home by lunch time.

Scarves, super popular. They are definitely my favorite part of the wardrobe here. The leggings as pants thing... eh.

People walk ridiculously fast here. And all the women wear heels. I'm not sure how they do it, but even at my fastest I'm walk at the pace of a sixty year old. Although I've heard complaints that the sidewalks get slippery when they're wet, and I think that part of the reason is because of all the heels.

Additionally, if there's no crosswalk sign, pedestrians have the right of way. I'm much more hesitant, and wait to see if the car will stop for me first. I know they are probably annoyed by me, but while it's totally normal for Spaniards to just cross the street and assume the car will stop, I can't get it out of my head that I'm going to get hit by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment