Thursday, October 24, 2013

From a few days ago...

Apparently I can only write this post in HTML mode (I´ve got some downtime at school) so we´ll see if it turns out okay.

Week 6 already. This week I pass a landmark-the longest amount of time I've spent in a foreign country. The last was in Costa Rica, and on Thursday I'll beat my record. I feel like I should get balloons or something. I'm in my new apartment, and I must say, I enjoy it immensely. I made burgers last night! And the shower head is normal! And no roaches! And it's smaller, which really is a good thing. My gym and church are a little far away, but 'far away' here is more like, ten minutes, whereas in the States I think it would have to be at least a fifteen minute drive. There's a joke that goes, "Americans think 100 years is a long time, Englishmen think 100 miles is a long way." That second one could go for Spaniards, too, because everything is pretty compact here.

Teaching is still going well. On Thursday I'm giving a class discussion on the Hijab, which is pretty interesting. I've got a bunch of articles from Muslim women talking about the Hijab, and a video about the Niqab (the one that only leaves space for the eyes). It's all quite fascinating, and I'm hoping that if I enjoy learning about it, the students will too. (that's how things work, right?) Actually, for how small this town is, there are a lot of Muslim immigrants from Middle Eastern and north African countries. So it'll be a fairly relevant discussion.

I think I need to visit some sort of "TV addicts anonymous" because even going four days without watching my usual programs is driving me a little crazy. That's fairly pathetic. If there's one fortunate thing not having internet does, is it provides me with the opportunity to break the habit. Hopefully. So I guess now would be the detox stage. Anyway, as the internet appears to be a no go, I'm going to save this on Word and post it later. If it stops raining, perhaps I'll take the computer out to the hotspot. Maybe it's worth the weird stares.

(it was not worth the stares, and the internet was too crappy to even connect to it on a computer)

No comments:

Post a Comment